Need a Battle Buddy?
Please fill out our initial needs assessment form below. Once we verify that you are eligible, we will send you a formal application to the email you provided. There is no fee to apply for or to receive our services. Please note, sending in the full application does not mean the applicant is automatically approved; it MUST go before V.E.T. Service Dogs NFP review team to be approved.
Following the application review process, the applicant will be notified within thirty days that their application was either accepted or denied. Once the application is tentatively approved, the applicant will need to attend an in person interview.
We do not train Service Dogs in the tasks that would be necessary to aid someone who uses a wheelchair, mobility scooter, or walker; is substantially visually or hearing impaired; needs retrieval assistance; or has advanced mobility or medical alert issues.
Although other information may be required, our basic criteria includes:
1. We require a copy of your most recent DD-214 showing your military service with honorable discharge or current honorable service.
2. We require medical documentation completed by your physician stating that you are physically able to take care of a dog, including but not limited to walks, exercise and training.
3. You must provide a letter from your mental health care provider stating you have a verifiable diagnosis of PTSD, TBI, and/or MST and that it is their recommendation that you get a service dog.
4. You must provide a video of the following things. A. A tour of your home that the dog will be residing in. B. A tour of the outside of your home and where the dog will be going potty. C. In addition to the inside and outside of your home we will need video footage of the surrounding areas of your home.
5. No current alcohol or substance abuse and no illegal dependency.
6. No felony conviction, pending criminal charges, current parole/probation, pattern of criminality, or animal abuse.
7. Be willing to have a background check done.
8. Be financially able to afford the feeding and care of a service dog.
9. Be totally committed to coming to weekly classes and doing the ‘homework’ with your dog.
Please Note that your application will not be accepted without all the documents and videos required. You will submit them during part two of your application process.
Eligible applicants will be considered regardless of race, sex, religion, creed, sexual orientation and ethnic origin.